Lednice is a beautiful village in South Moravia frequently visited by tourists. It is a wine-growing village in Mikulov wine region. The dominant feature of the region is Lednice-Valtice Complex, which is listed in the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage. There are many interesting sights in Lednice, including the Chateau Lednice, a palm greenhouse, a minaret, a chateau park and many more. A total of 37 objects uses monument protection in Lednice.
Lednice is a pearl of Moravia. For a good reason thousands and thousands of tourists visit this village every year and many of them keep coming back repeatedly. Lednice is prepared for tourists very well, all the important sights are marked with guideposts. The village provides with a sufficient number of parking spaces. We are very pleased to welcome you in the restaurant U Tlustých which is only a few steps away from the Chateau Lednice. Come to enjoy Moravian specialities.
The Chateau Lednice was built in the years 1544 - 1585 in place of the original Gothic fortress. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens. The chateau was rebuilt in the Baroque style in the late 17th century. A Classicist reconstruction of the chateau took place in the years 1766 – 1772.
Today's appearance is virtually unchanged from the last reconstruction which started in 1846 in Neo-Gothic style. In this last reconstruction ground plan was maintained. The chateau has undergone great changes of facades. The chateau interior was redesigned, too. There is also a palm greenhouse, where it is grown about 250 species of subtropical and tropical plants.
Chateau Lednice park was first mentioned in the middle of the 16th century. Since then it has gradually changed into a beautiful baroque park. At the end of the 19th century, it partially underwent Classical renovations that culminated in many romantic transformations.
The Thaya River flows through the area, which devides into several canals and ponds. Among them there are islands that are interconnected with bridges. Last modifications were performed in French Neo-Baroque style. Since then, shrubbery has been regularly followed by fountains and ancient statues in the park. There are more than one hundred species of conifers and more than 460 species of deciduous trees.
Castle Greenhouse is meant to be and also run as an ornamental glasshouse. Everyone interested can get a list of Latin names of plants that grow in there, and identify them by numbers. However, we can daringly doubt that princes and countesses inhabiting the castle were so much interested in identifying the plants. They would come here to relax and unwind and a single tree, which they would certainly identify, was in these days with wooden table labelled, Encephalartos altensteinii. That is the eldest tree in the greenhouse – three or four thousand years old.
Castle riding hall
This hall with its stables with marble gutters and wooden litter used to be literally a palace for horses. But during the 20th century an extensive complex of baroque stables and riding hall in Lednice served as a warehouse, gym or firehouse. Renovation of dilapidated building which cost a half a billion Czech crowns was completed in 2013 and transformed the castle riding hall into the multifunctional center for exhibitions, concerts, events and environmental education.
Source: Česká televize
Minaret in Lednice is a unique 60 meter high tower located at the distant side of the chateau park. It is a part of the Lednice – Valtice Complex. It is the oldest surviving tower in the Czech Republic. At the same time it is also the only minaret in the country and as well the tallest building of the type outside Islamic countries.
It is not clear why the minaret was built on this spot. According to a legend, it is said that originally Alois Lichtenstein wanted to have a church built. It was, however, banned by the church. So he decided to build a mosque out of spite. Due to the soft bedrock it was not possible to realize the whole building and therefore eventually the minaret was built there. However, it is also possible that the story was different. There were also Turkish baths, Chinese palaces and a Swiss bridge. It is therefore possible that the origin of the minaret is different.
John’s castle also known as Janohrad, from three sides surrounded by meander of the royal river Thaya, used to be a hunting lodge. Gentry would gather here before hunt, wish happiness to each other and in the evening they would return and enjoy to profusely set table. Hunted game was roasted on eight large fireplaces in the courtyard. Horses and dogs could relax on the ground floor, while the riders were enjoying the meal in the spacious halls. According to the former etiquette, women and men must have enjoyed fun separately and this is the reason why not only the knights’ hall for men arose, but also and ladies' lounges for women did.
A copy of the Roman aqueduct, which originates to the late 18th century, was built in Lednice in summer 2013 along with ten meter high waterfall. It has been almost hundred years since the aqueduct was in use. The author of this construction is the court architect Josef Hardtmuth Lichtenstein who designed also the nearby minaret. The waterfall was usually used to beautify the lake view during royal events. Beside the decorative function of the aqueduct as artificial waterfall, it was also used as a part of irrigation system of the park.
Source: Česká televize